Welcome to day 8 of Blogust 2017!
If you haven’t yet, check out yesterday’s post —-> CLICK HERE!
To catch up on all my past Blogust posts —-> CLICK HERE!
As I was looking for today’s question of the day, I realized that I forgot to answer yesterday’s at the end of my post. But I think it all works out because yesterday’s and today’s questions seem to kind of work together nicely.
Yesterday’s question of the day was:
What is your dream job, and why?
My dream job is writing, in whatever capacity that I can. Obviously right now I’m not writing consistently because of this weird creative block/brain fog that I have. But fingers crossed that I can work through it. Anyway, my Masters degree is in creative writing and my focus was on television writing. I love television and ideally I would love to write for a show, or even write and run my own show. In my dreams, I wouldn’t have to deal with all the Hollywood crap though. There are so many hoops to jump through and politics to deal with on both the business end and on the acting end. Going to film school really opened my eyes to all that. It’s not all the glitz and glam and fame and fortune that most think it is. It’s a business first and foremost and the people running it aren’t always the nicest or most moral people.
I just want to write. I don’t care about the other stuff. My main objective in life is to just be able to pay my bills and live comfortably. I don’t want to worry about money. I don’t need a lot – I’m not looking to have a mansion or expensive cars, and I definitely don’t want to be famous. I just want a place of my own and to be happy.
Now onto today’s question:
What are five passions you have?
I think half my problem is that I am not truly passionate about anything. I don’t feel like I have one of those things that gets me excited to wake up in the morning to go work on. There are a lot of things that I am interested in and enjoy doing, but nothing really major to write home about. So I guess to answer this question, I’ll talk about those things that interest me, and maybe in the process I’ll find something in there that I can consider a passion.
- Making YouTube videos – I am a huge fan of watching YouTube videos and spent years learning from the best who were already doing it, before I even thought about making one of my own. It’s scary to put stuff out there publicly like that and you have to be prepared for the pushback if it comes to that. But I think my love of making the videos overpowers all that. I don’t exactly enjoy being in front of the camera. But in order to have anything to edit, I have to be the one in the video as well. I still have those days, six years later, where I am not feeling happy in front of the camera, or just not happy with my content. It takes a lot of time and creative energy to make videos sometimes, especially if it’s a multi-angle or scripted one. But I always remind myself that I can choose what I put out there, so if I don’t want to film one day, then I don’t have to. And taking little breaks here and there helps to re-motivate me.
- Writing (obviously) – I have been writing and keeping a journal since I was six-years-old. I still have a notebook from when I was in the third grade and on the first page it says, “I want to be a writer.” But sometimes I think I put too much pressure on my writing and it can have the opposite effect – it makes me hate writing and therefore not want to write. It’s a complicated relationship.
- Sketching/Drawing/Coloring – I’m not great with free-handing realistic things, but I love to create patterns and have gotten into Zentangle and mandalas over the last few years. It’s a nice way to relax and empty my brain.
- Photography – I see this a purely a hobby, like my blog, that I do and share for fun. I love capturing a moment or just something that I find really beautiful. I also love to go through Pinterest and Instagram, looking at other people’s work as well.
- Music – I love music, I don’t make it, but I still consider it something that interests me. When I was younger, I used to take lessons (singing and various instrument), but as I’ve gotten older I prefer to just listen. I write songs from time to time, but definitely not nearly as much as I used to.
That’s all for this one. Thank you so much for reading!
Until next time,